Picture it: you pull out that emblem-new laptop you bought after reading our ultra-modern shopping for guide and plug it in for the first actual time. Now it is just a matter of breezing your way via the Windows setup manner, and you’re prepared to rock, right? Not really. Your pocket book isn’t always surely prepared — or without a doubt yours — until you perform a little tweaking. Here are a few matters to recollect while putting in place your new pc.
Step 1: Run All Windows Updates
Your laptop might be going to download a series of Windows 10 updates all on its own, so why no longer get it over with via forcing them to put in manually?
1. Type “updates” in the seek container.
2. Click “Check for updates.”
Windows will begin searching for and downloading updates, however you do not should await this method to finish earlier than moving on in your subsequent undertaking.
3. If Windows does not automatically search for updates, pick out the “Check for updates” field.
Step 2: Uninstall Bloatware
Like it or now not, most PC vendors preload demanding 1/3-celebration software program in your pc. From 30-day antivirus trials to casually addictive computer games you could not want to play (ex: Candy Crush), this bloatware is poised to suck up valuable device resources. To uninstall it:
1. Navigate to Settings. You can get there from the Start Menu.
2. Select System.
3. Select Apps and features from the left menu. If you do not see this feature, press in the seek container and kind Apps, then choose “Apps and functions.” (Alternatively, you may bypass steps 1 and a couple of and type “Uninstall” from the Search Box at the Taskbar and pick out “Add or dispose of packages.”)
4. Select an app you desire to uninstall.
five. Click Uninstall.
6. Click the second one Uninstall button that looks.
Step 3: Copy or Sync Your Files
What proper is your new computer if it doesn’t have your maximum vital records on it? There are several possible ways to transport your files, photos, films and different key files over from an antique pc.
OneDrive Sync: If your crucial files are saved in OneDrive, they will robotically download to the new laptop after you log into the brand new PC together with your Microsoft account.Dropbox or Google Drive: These offerings paintings much like OneDrive but do not come preloaded with Windows (until your pc producer placed them there). If you were the use of them to save documents to your vintage computer, set up them on the new one.Copy documents manually. Select all the files below your Documents, Music, Videos and Photos libraries, reproduction them to an outside pressure (ex: Flash drives, hard drives) and then copy them over to the brand new device. This is a bit tedious, although, so we propose the use of cloud storage if possible.
Step four: Install Antivirus Software
Antivirus software is important irrespective of how cautious you observed you’re at the net. If you hit even one incorrect link, accidentally or in any other case, your whole laptop should come to be sufferer to a malware infection — an lousy scenario that can usually be averted with a few suitable antivirus software. The factor of antivirus software program is to save you these varieties of conditions earlier than they take place and, if that fails, fix them at once afterward. It’s essential which you have a few type of antivirus software program to protect your PC from threats.
If you are looking for a recommendation, our techie colleagues rated Bitdefender as one of the satisfactory unfastened antivirus software solutions to be had, way to its notable malware safety and coffee effect to your PC’s overall performance, not to mention 24/7 customer service. With Bitdefender, you may prevent virus assaults earlier than they show up; you can also test and do away with threats after the truth, if some thing harmful manages to make it onto your computer. Here’s a short guide on the way to installation Bitdefender unfastened antivirus software.
1. Click the massive green “free down load” button on Bitdefender’s web page.
2. Go on your downloads folder and locate the bitdefender_online.exe record you just downloaded. Click on it. It will then set up Bitdefender.
3. To avoid demanding pop-up reminders or any capacity lengthy-time period problems with Bitdefender’s functionality, make a Bitdefender account (the window for doing this could seem automatically after installation). It’s as easy as providing your name, e-mail and developing a password. From there, Bitdefender will perform autonomously and assist you to go about your internet activities in peace, protective you all the at the same time as.
Step 5: Set Up Windows Hello Fingerprint or Face Logins
Many contemporary-era laptops include either a fingerprint reader or an infrared digital camera for facial recognition. If you have both one, you must installation Windows Hello, a feature that helps you to log in with a finger or a look, so you can avoid the trouble of the usage of a regular password. This is every other notable security function to hold your documents covered.
1. Navigate to Settings.
2. Click Accounts.
3. Select Sign-in options.
4. Click the Set up button under either Fingerprint or Face Recognition.
5. Click Get Started.
6. Swipe your finger (for fingerprint readers) or stare on the digicam (for facial reputation) as directed. If you do not have a fingerprint reader or an IR digicam, Windows 10 might not permit you to proceed.
7. Click Set up PIN. Windows 10 calls for that you have a PIN as a back up, if your finger or face does not check in. You may not be requested to do this in case you already have a PIN.
eight. Enter a PIN and click OK.
Step 6: Install Your Browser of Choice (or stay with Edge)
Microsoft’s Edge Browser is rapid, lightweight and honestly worth thinking about. However, if you’re used to Chrome and Firefox extensions, you will want your preferred browser right away. To set your new browser because the default, comply with these steps.
1. Download and run the browser installer of your choice. Chrome is at https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/computer/
2. Navigate to settings. You can get there from the Start Menu.
3. Click System.
four. Select Default apps within the left pane.
five. Click the icon below Web browser. It may say “Choose a default” or it can have the icon for the current default browser.
6. Select your browser in the pop-up menu that appears.
Step 7: Configure Cortana or Turn Her Off
Microsoft’s built-in virtual assistant offers some of neat features, consisting of the ability to set reminders, locate documents by way of semantic search, solution questions the usage of Bing’s know-how base, carry out some voice instructions and provide you with alerts for things like weather and sports activities ratings. If the concept of getting a digital assistant appeals to you, you need to set off Cortana and supply her some facts about you. If you do not want a digital assistant and choose now not to spark off Cortana, you may nevertheless use her search box to locate documents and apps.
To activate Cortana:
1. Click the quest field.
2. Click “Cortana can do lots more.”
3. Click Sign in.
If you are not logged in to a Microsoft account, you’ll be triggered to sign in, but you must already be logged into Windows 10 with that account (except you went from your way to create a neighborhood account).
4. Select the pocket book icon within the left menu bar that looks when you click the search field.
A listing of icons appears.
5. Click About Me to enter your name and favorite locations (which includes work and domestic).
6. Click Sports to inform Cortana what teams you observe.
7. Click Connected Accounts to let Cortana access information from other bills.
eight. To flip Cortana off, click on in the seek field and press the settings menu on the left side. Under the Talk to Cortana tab, slide the Let Cortana respond to “Hey Cortana” to the left. You can also search “Speed, inking, & typing” inside the main seek container.
Step eight: Disable the Time-Wasting Lock Screen
Unless you revel in gazing an attractive photo when you first boot or wake your PC, the Windows lock display screen serves actually no reason. Every time you start up, you need to swipe or click at the lock display screen pix earlier than you can enter your username and password, however why not simply pass directly to the login activate? Here’s the way to disable the Windows 10 lock display.
1. Open the registry editor by hitting Windows + R or typing “regedit” into the run box.
2. Click Yes if induced with the aid of User Account Control.
3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows by starting the folder tree within the left window pane.
4. Right-click on within the right pane and pick New > Key. Then rename the key Personalization. Skip this step if a Personalization key already exists underneath Windows. Note, you won’t have the ability to finish this step without admin privileges.
5. Open the Personalization key.
6. Right-click on in the proper pane and pick New > DWORD (32-bit) price. Rename it to NoLockScreen.
7. Set NoLockScreen to one by way of double-clicking on it and entering 1 within the dialog field.
8. Close the Registry Editor and reboot your PC.
Step nine: Adjust Your Display Scaling
Today many laptops come with excessive-decision displays which are sharp and colorful, but have so many pixels that your icons and fonts can also appear a bit too small out of the box. Conversely, your computer may additionally have icons and fonts which can be large than you need them to be, probably wasting display screen real estate. You can control the size of computing device items the use of a Windows feature called show scaling. If on-screen content material is simply too small for you, you can flip the scaling up to a hundred twenty five or maybe a hundred and fifty percentage. However, in case you’d like to match extra on the show right away, you may turn that variety down to 100 percent. Here’s how.
1. Right-click on your computing device and choose Display Settings.
2. Change the menu placing underneath “Change the dimensions of textual content, apps . . . ” You cannot get any smaller than one hundred percent. You will notice an instantaneous alternate to the size of a few menus.
three. Reboot your laptop or log off and log returned in.
Step 10: Set Up Keyboard Shortcuts for Every App
You can shop a lot of time — as a minimum numerous mins an afternoon — by way of using keyboard shortcuts in place of your mouse pointer to open menus or double-click on an icon. In addition to memorizing the maximum vital built-in Windows keyboard shortcuts together with precise shortcuts for your favorite apps (ex: CTRL+ T opens a brand new tab on your browser), you can installation warm keys that open your favorite applications. Here’s how.
1. Open the run conversation field through hitting Windows + R.
2. Type “explorer shell:AppsFolder” into the box and hit OK.
3. Right click on on the app you want and pick out Create shortcut.
four. Click Yes when brought on. A new icon appears in your computer.
five. Right-click on the brand new shortcut and pick out Properties.
6. Enter a key combination using CTRL + ALT + a Character within the Shortcut key field. You can use letters, numbers or symbols. We advise the use of letters that represent the software you’re launching (ex, CTRL + ALT + W for Microsoft Word).
7. Click OK.
You also can set up custom keyboard shortcuts for frequent actions (ex, launching your favorite web page, knocking down the “crop” choice in Photoshop Elements) the use of a freeware app known as AutoHotkey.
Step eleven: Unhide File Extensions and Hidden Files
By default, Windows 10 treats you want an untrustworthy teen, hiding extensions (ex: .docx, .xls, .jpg) and making device files and folders absolutely invisible. But seeing the 3 or four-letter file extensions is specifically crucial because they permit you to recognise precisely what sort of file you’re looking at. It’s no longer sufficient to realize, as an instance, that “my-circle of relatives-excursion” is a photograph record; you need to recognise whether or not it’s a JPG, a GIF or a PNG document before you decide to print or share it. By the identical token, a myreport.doc may be read by way of Microsoft Word from 2003 and earlier than but myreport.docx requires more recent software program.
1. Open File Explorer. You can get there by way of clicking at the yellow folder icon on the taskbar.
2. Click the View tab at the top of the window.
three. Toggle on “File call extensions” and “Hidden gadgets.” You will need to hit “View” again after you test the first one.
Step 12: Change Your Desktop Theme
If you’re happy with the wallpaper and shade scheme that your pc got here with, by means of all method hold it. However, maximum can also want to personalize Windows 10’s appearance and sense via changing issues. Here’s the way to personalize your Windows 10 topic.
To get started out, right-click on the desktop and pick Personalize.
The personalization menu appears.
Here’s how to exchange your desktop wallpaper:
1. Select Picture, Solid Color or Slideshow from the Background menu.
2a. If you picked “photograph,” pick out a photograph from the list or browse for one in your difficult power.
2b. If you picked “strong color,” pick out one of the to be had sun shades.
2c. If you chose “Slideshow,” determine which folder you need the display to attract from. It defaults to your pics library.
Here is the way to permit Dark Mode and Light Mode:
1. Open the Settings menu.
2. Click Personalization.
3. Select the Colors tab from the left sidebar.
4. At the bottom of the web page, pick out “Dark.” If you need to enable Light Mode, keep the default choice decided on or press “Light.”
To change the coloration of your taskbar, window name bars and Start menu:
1. Click Colors inside the left nav.
2. Pick a colour or toggle “Automatically select” to on.
three. Toggle “Show colour on Start, taskbar…” to On.
Rather than tweaking the colours and wallpaper one by one, you may select from a pre-current Windows 10 subject matter.
1. Click Themes within the left pane.
2. Choose a topic.
Click “Get more topics on-line” in case you need to down load extra alternatives.
Now that you’ve were given your PC geared up to move, you might need to password protect a folder in Windows 10 to keep your touchy documents secure or examine how to create a shortcut to a website with Chrome. You can also pin your favorite websites to the Windows 10 begin menu for brief access.
Windows 10 BasicsPrevious TipNext Tip7 Settings to Change Right AwayWindows 10 Keyboard Shortcuts to Save You Clicksfive Ways to Take ScreenshotsChange Your Password in Windows 10Uninstall Programs in Windows 10Enable or Disable Tablet ModeAdd a User (Child or Adult)Change the Screen ResolutionSync Your Settings Across DevicesSync iPhone with Windows 10Control Windows 10 with Your VoiceUpgrade to Windows 10 From Windows 7 or 8Eliminate Blue Light With Night LightCreate a New FolderGet to the Desktop in Windows 10Add a PrinterAll Windows 10 TipsSet Alarms